Hardwood flooring is one of the most popular choices among homeowners today. Not only do hardwoods provide a classic, high-end look, they can also increase a home’s value. Still, there are a number of other reasons that go beyond these obvious benefits, making hardwood flooring a favored and practical preference.
Here are 6 unique benefits of choosing hardwoods over other types of flooring:
- When other types of flooring begin to look worn and tired, unlike vinyl and carpets, your hardwood flooring can be refinished instead of replaced.
- Wood flooring has no grout lines, embossing or fibers that can trap allergens, pet dander, pollen and dust, like carpets do. This means improved air quality for those who suffer from asthma or allergies.
3. Hardwood flooring is easy to maintain. An occasional sweeping and mopping is all it needs.
- There are lots of combinations to choose from: wood species, stains, styles, colors, and finishes. No matter how particular your tastes are, you’re bound to find something you love.
- Hardwoods are enduring and can sustain heavy foot traffic.
- Hardwood flooring is an excellent long-term investment as it holds great resale value.
While it has a lot of benefits, there are a few aspects of hardwood flooring that could be considered unfavorable. Luckily, there are ways to overcome these disadvantages:
• Moisture/Humidity can cause warping in the wood. An easy solution: keep the humidity level in your home between 40-50 percent. You can use a relative humidity indicator (hygrometer), readily available at most home improvement stores, to monitor and maintain your home’s moisture level. In high-moisture areas such as bathrooms and kitchens, use floor mats to absorb moisture.
• Environmental concerns: Hardwood flooring involves the cutting down of trees. However, you don’t have to worry about this if you buy from reputable manufacturers because all products are compliant with the Lacey Act. When wood is harvested and made ethically, it is a sustainable and green choice, which means no guilty conscience for you!
• Price. While it’s true that hardwood flooring is typically more expensive than other flooring options, remember that most other types of flooring won’t last longer than 25 years – at best. If well maintained, hardwood floors can last far longer –up to 100 years and beyond!
So if you’re thinking about having new floors installed in your home, don’t rule out hardwoods right away. Yes, there are some minor disadvantages, but when you consider the pros that outweigh the cons and the increase in value they add to your home, they just might be exactly what you’re looking for!
If you have more questions or concerns about hardwood floors, here is a great link with additional information.
As always, you can contact Medford Remodeling if you are interested in having wood floors installed!