Replacing windows is among home maintenance projects that can make a huge impact on both the functionality and the value of your home. As with anything, it’s better to maintain properly working windows and replace them regularly, versus waiting until you have multiple failed windows on your hands! Here are 5 signs of window failure to look out for, via our handyman division, Mike’s Guys:
1. Poor Operation. A common issue with aging windows is that they stick when opening and closing. This is often caused by a balancing issue in which dust, dirt, pollen, or other buildup becomes lodged in the tracks. In some cases, cleaning out the tracks can help with sticking, but usually this is a sign that the window will need to be replaced soon.
2. Condensation. Condensation occurs when moist air comes into contact with a colder surface like a wall, window, mirror etc. Outside condensation means your windows are not allowing any heat transfer, so if you have condensation or fog on the exterior of your windows, it just means that they are doing a good job of insulating your home. Condensation on the inside of your windows, however, is when you should consider replacing the windows. This means that the windows’ glazing and gas fill are losing their effectiveness, which can lead to moisture, decay, and mold growth.
3. Mold & Decay. As a result of condensation, as well as old age and extreme weather, window frames can begin to decay and grow mold. Cracks, chipping, and mold and decay are definite signs that it’s time to replace the window. Not addressing this issue can put your own health at risk, as well as the health of your home, if the mold continues to spread.
4. Draftiness. A draft coming in around your windows isn’t something to be ignored! This puts extra stress on your HVAC system and can result in an increase in your monthly energy bill. If you feel like you just can’t get your house to cool off or if your AC is constantly running, you might should check your doors and windows for draftiness.
5. Exterior Noise. If you find you are being disturbed by outside noises, such as traffic, wind, dogs barking, etc., it may be a sign that your windows are failing. New windows can help reduce exterior noise.
If you have recently noticed any of these issues with your windows, it’s likely in your best interest to have them replaced! Mike’s Guys Handyman & Exteriors would be happy to assist you with this home maintenance project; contact us today to get started!