Few home repair projects can provide you the pay-back of window replacement. Quality replacement windows will not only refresh the look of tired windows, but also help you save on your monthly energy bill year round, make your home quieter, and increase your home’s resale value.
6 Tips for Buying Replacement Windows:
- Before you do anything, determine how many windows need to be replaced throughout your home. It’s ultimately more effective to have all windows replaced at the same time, as old windows can be less energy efficient and cost you more on your electric bill in the long run.
- Decide on a budget. The cost of windows can range greatly, depending on the type of glass, size, shape, and required installation. When shopping, gather several estimates so you get a true cost for the replacement windows. This will narrow your options and ease the process. Compare companies by getting a breakdown on the estimates for materials, labor and any costs of disposing of the old windows.
- Choose the right time of year for the project. Replacing windows involves the old windows being totally removed, meaning your house will be open for brief periods of time. Having this done in the dead of winter might not be a good plan! Likewise, having several open windows during the hot summer will be hard on your air conditioner (and your wallet!). Spring or fall months are generally mild and best suited for this type of home improvement.
- Check out the energy ratings and insulation on various windows. The type of framing will determine how much maintenance is required. For example, wood is beautiful, but vinyl might be the better option if you don’t want to worry about maintaining window frames.
- Ask about all of the different windows the company offers. Most companies run various promotions, but the windows they are featuring may be outside of your budget constraints. Asking about all of your options can get you the windows you need, without breaking the bank.
- Replacement windows come with warranties. Make sure you get the specifics, such as if the warranty can be transferred if you sell your home, and how long the warranty will remain in effect.
New windows are a major investment, but are a great asset and will make all the difference the comfort and the curb appeal of your home.
If you’ve been thinking about getting your windows replaced, now is a great time! Contact us to schedule an appointment and get your new windows installed just in time for summer!
We look forward to hearing from you!