We have our major bathroom remodel project underway! Michael, Dave and Neil got the demolition done, Chris roughed in the electrical, Warren and his guys got the plumbing roughed in and Ron and his guys got the drywall textured. When we do a full remodel on a bathroom, getting the drywall done in the first week is always the goal.
Fortunately there weren’t any big surprises. We did find plastic had been attached to the walls between the framing and the drywall behind the tile showers. Whenever we find plastic in a shower, we also find mold. I suppose the intent for installing the plastic is to keep any water that leaks through the tile and drywall away from the framing and insulation. The problem is that the plastic creates a condensation point and mold-growing climate. We’ll get it all cleaned up, install a concrete backer board screwed directly to the studs. We use a good quality thin set to install the tile, a good quality grout and a good quality sealer. Along with a properly installed vulcanized rubber shower pan, water penetration into the walls is not an issue.